Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Pesto

I love pesto! Love love love it! I like it in pasta, over chicken, on a wonderful paninni, oh and so many other wonderful ways. Many times I'm pressed on time...I wonder why? not like I have 4 children all 5 and under to care for as well as a house, husband and church responsiblities as well as being a full time student... but on those times I have the ingredients and time I love to make my own pesto. Forgive me though I'm using less common measuring ways and am really just guestamating!

Pesto
1 large handful of fresh basil leaves
2 cloves garlic
1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
1/2 cup olive oil
1/3 cup toasted nuts*
salt and pepper to taste
squeeze of lemon juice

In a blender or food processor combine all ingredients except olive oil. Mix in food processor till smooth, then slowly drissle in the oil to bring together a creamy texture.
*traditionally made with pine nuts but can really substitute any type of nuts, I've made with pine nuts, almonds, sunflower seeds, and walnuts.
** you can also make a pesto with different herbs and I've even done it with spinach which is super tasty!

2 comments:

  1. I thought pesto was a combination of herbs and spices. What are pesto leaves?

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol, Basil I meant Basil! I'll fix that right now :)

    ReplyDelete