Tuesday, November 9, 2010

French Onion Soup

Today we had our first snow here in Burns! It has been a strange winter and usually we have had much more snow by now. I'm not complaining though! I prefer the warmth and sun rather than snow and ice. The boys are thrilled because with snow means Saturday mornings of ice hockey... I'm so thrilled.... I decided to make soup tonight fitting for the first snow, so we are having french dip sandwiches and french onion soup...too bad I can't get real French Baguettes or French Gruyere cheese.... oh well...

This made just enough for probably four servings, though I know when Darwin gets home he is going to be in shocked and slightly frightened that I made an entire soup out of the ingredient he despise...though I put onions in most everything I make.... anyhow...

1 Large onion and when I say large I mean large the one I used was like a softball size but you can use several smaller ones of course.
1 T minced garlic
1 T olive oil
1/2 container of Beef broth
1/2 cup chicken broth
1 sprig of thyme
1 tsp whole peppercorns
1 bay leaf
1 basil leaf
cheese cloth and butchers twine
salt to taste
french bread
slices of mozzarella, Parmesan and Romano cheeses

Get pan hot and add the oil, then saute the garlic and add the onions, cook on medium heat till caramelized. Should take about 30-40 minutes stir occasionally. Onions should be tender and a golden brown color with spots of darker brown. Add the chicken broth to deglaze the pan. Stir to get all the brown bits off the bottom of the pan. Add the Beef broth. Take the cheese cloth and make a bouquet garni, with the herbs and peppercorns tie up into the cheese cloth and place in soup. Allow to simmer for 30 minutes. Adjust the salt as needed. Toast the french bread and top with the sliced cheese. Broil for several minutes till cheese is melted and has some brown toasted bits. Remove the bouquet and serve in bowls place a piece of cheesy french bread a top each bowl.... Devour and repeat!

1 comment:

  1. It sure is a good thing onions are good for you, I really am trying to develop my tastebuds, they are not used to such amazing cooking all the time. Sometimes they say to me, "this food is superb, but where is the noodle soup that we used to have all the time, I think it was called Top-o-Ramen, or something like that. It was so simple, not there are too many flavors going on in my simple mouth, oh well, keep it coming." Either way, I enjoy the great meals prepared by the most beautiful woman in the world. The frenchdip is always a good choice, lot it and consider it gourmet Arby's, and it reminds me of being at Dad and Mom Macbeth's around the holidays.

    ReplyDelete